WOWEEEEE!

Home Forums Feedback WOWEEEEE!

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mallette 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Mallette
    Participant

I am THRILLED.  Got a tip off an audio forum and tracked this down.  THANKS FOR THE EASY USB BOOT!  Big time…  Mint, Ubuntu, et all should get with it on this.  ISO isn’t that far behind floppies as a medium.

UNETBootin deserves a shout out as well for civilizing that.  Pack your distro on a USB was the easiest I’ve ever seen and I’d recommend it to Aunt Mae.  Idiot proof.

The distro itself is awesome and so far beyond any similar I’ve seen it’s not even a race.  You guys ROCK!

Now, having said all that I am doing so having had the thing make absolutely no sound at all nor telling me why.  Seems it sees my Zonar card fine…but quite silent.  Rebooted to Windoze and suffered the MS logon symphony, so I know the hardware is good.

Went back and couldn’t readily locate any test or diags on the distro.  OK, haven’t gotten anal about it but if someone can give me a point in the right direction I’d be a major cheerleader.

Dave

tomlohave
    Keymaster

for your sound issue, go to virtual terminal (see documentation)

execute :

alsamixer

look inf some controls are muted, unmuted them

go to virtual terminal 4

do you have now some sound ?

Mallette
    Participant

Thanks for the tip, Tom.  I’ll check it out later and report…

Dave

Mallette
    Participant

OK, figured out how to get to a command line and brought up a mixer.  All is good.  Open to  -6 db across the board and nothing muted.   

Went to the boot options and tried a different one, but no change. 

I am stumped.  Also, there is a wireless widget in the lower right, but it also seems to do nothing.  I assumed it meant I was on line but I can find no browser or anything to confirm this.  Close as I could get was “find more programs” which usually searches the web on other distros.  It remained empty here.

Again, my enthusiasm remains high about this but a silent media center is about as much fun as a dead puppy… :-). 

Frustrating.  This looks SO promising…

Dave

Mallette
    Participant

Bit more…

Rebooted and tried to play something.  “Failed to initialize audio device, check audio settings.”  Nice to know, but all looks good under audio settings. 

Opened a terminal and ran alsamixer thingy.  It showed the onboard audio chipset.  Changed it to Zonar.  As there was no “save” I was forced to the assumption that “exit” saves.  Ran terminial again and it hadn’t saved.  There is no intuitive way back to the GB GUI from here that I can find, so I rebooted.  GUI reported Zonar as soundcard, but got the “failed to initialize” message again.

This is a less than six month old, very fast, late model system with ASUS mobo, etc.  I am about out of thoughts as Linux under the hood isn’t an area I’ve a loot of experience with and clear information isn’t easy to come by.  Perhaps I’ll try it on a few other systems I have around and see what happens.  Really wanted to check this out on my main audio system as I’ve been looking for the “holy grail” of media OS now for many years. 

I intend to stay tuned here as I don’t give up easily and still believe GB has real potential.

Dave

Mallette
    Participant

Wonder if disableing the onboard audio in bios would help…may give that a shot.

Dave

tomlohave
    Keymaster

2 sounds cards : enable the second by editing /etc/audio

Mallette
    Participant

Well, the point I made was perhaps to diable the onboard sound in bios.  They both show up in GB at the moment, but no sound. 

Above you mentioned VT4 with no explanation.  Don’t have a clue what that is nor if it was part of the diag.

Dave

tomlohave
    Keymaster

ok, sorry : vt4 is virtual terminal 4

for geexbox it’s where  xbmc ‘s main screen is.

you can switch between vt using CTRL+ALT+number

ie for vt4 : CTRL+ALT+4

and about your sound card, if you unactivate the built in one, it should be better.

Mallette
    Participant

Thank you, sir.  Bit later I am going to disable the onboard in bios.  it’a about all I have left. 

Guess i could also remove the Zonar…but even if that gave me sound I’d not be satisfied as the Zonar is worlds better.

Does the keyboard command work from terminal/command line mode?  I couldn’t find a way back to GB home (4, I suppose) from the command line without rebooting. 

Dave

Mallette
    Participant

Well, I am losing hope.  Decided to try it on a plain jane box with garden variety SoundBlaster.  This one happens to already have Linux Mint on it working nicely.

Precisely the same situation as the new build with the Zonar.  All signs good, nothing muted, and “Unable to intialize sound device” message.

As these machines exhibit the same issue while be quite different otherwise I’m sensing more fundamental problem.  My wife came while I had it up here and commented “Wow…beautiful interface! And so fast!’ to which I said, yes, and unfortunately so silent.

I’m going to pass this on to a few others.  I’d hoped to be able to review it, but no matter how awesome it looks if it doesn’t make sound it’s pretty hard to suggest to others as a media center. 

If you had any other thoughts I’d be glad to try them…

Dave

tomlohave
    Keymaster

please post the content of /etc/debug-sound

Mallette
    Participant

Tom, as ashamed as I am of it, I am only expert in Windows.  While I’d love to see that ended, I unfortunately am forced to make my living at it…

Is ” /etc/debug-sound” a text file, a command or what?  I’ll be happy to cooperate with you to fix this anyway I can as the minute the wife came in and made her comment I knew this was a GOOD thing…

Please assume you are talking to a blind man and help me feel this out.  I’ve gotten comfortable with the keyboard switches back and forth to a command line, and I can pretty well interpret what I am seeing on the alsamixer app…but that’s about it. 

Your help is REALLY appreciated.

Dave

Mallette
    Participant

Feeling like an idiot, I went in search of etc/debug-sound under the assumption it’s a log file.  From a command line, I could find no way to list files.  The “Help” command listed available commands but none seem to have anything to do with file viewing or navigation.  Went back to the GB GUI and after a bit of browsing found something called NaviX.  It didn’t explain itself and I am still not quite sure what it’s for, but a file manager was part of it so I was able to look at files.  Examined the USB drive thoroughly and wasn’t able to locat an “etc” directory or file named “debug-sound.” A search tool would have helped but none was apparent.

Doing what I can here…and still really like the speed and such of what I am seeing.  However, I sort of feel like an earthling suddenly faced with advanced, alien technology.  Trying to figure out just which hexagram to touch next is a teaser…

Dave

Mallette
    Participant

Being back on the Windoze side, I did a bit of looking in the docs and found this:

In order to do so, connect to your box and update the /etc/audio file accordingly:

# Soundcard to use by name (e.g. “SB”) or by ID (0 for first card, 1 for second, …)
    ALSA_CARD=”0″

and replace the ALSA_CARD variable by the desired one.

Might be useful…but not a clue as to where to find this “etc/audio” file or just how one might edit it in this OS.  No problem at all understanding WHAT to do…but where and how aren’t at all clear.  In fact, from what I know about other systems, simply replacing a variable value by a “desired one” isn’t likely unless that variable has been declared.  I can replace it with anything I desire, but I am not sure just how the OS would figure out what I was telling it.  How am I supposed to know just what the correct value is?

Okies, so I am a PITA.  Not by choice, just by ignorance.  Certainly making an effort to figure this out.  If I can, then I can pass it on to others perhaps even more ignorant than me…but really wanting a fine, fast, easy music server interface thier wives will like.  :-). 

Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.