Trouble playing some videos

Home Forums GeeXboX for PC Trouble playing some videos

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tomlohave 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Tasz

Hi all 🙂

I recently installed Geexbox on an older HP laptop running the i386 version.

It plays most larger video files just fine (like 700 meg or more).

But when I try to play smaller (sub 100meg) video files and the odd larger one as well it seems to really struggle.

They are all stored on the HD on the system and play very stuttered and no audio. Using analog audio output.

Both mpgs and avi’s seem to be affected.

Any thoughts?

tomlohave
    Keymaster

Hello
    can you post a link where I can find this video (you can send me that in private)
    Or maybe just a video with 5-6 Mb to test this ?
    And which version do you use ? devel or 3.1 ?

Cheers !

Tasz

Hi 🙂

Thanks for the reply.

Here’s a link to a video that I took with my android phone that doesn’t play properly on geexbox:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwo4_Vupx-18b2UwMGdNanBpVjg/view?usp=sharing

I was using the most recent stable version at about time I first posted… don’t have computer with me to check but I installed it about a month ago.

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

The snippet plays flawlessly on CuBox-i and RaspberryPi2 (latest Kodi 15.2). No idea about Intel…

Tasz

Yeah, I was thinking of just installing Kodi.tv on it. I use it on a laptop I have at home as a media source and it works great.

I just liked the smaller footprint that geexbox has though it really doesn’t matter all that much.

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

What do you mean with “smaller footprint”? Geexbox is Geexbox. The difference between the recent snapshots I was talking about (featuring Kodi 15.2) and the now rather ancient 3.1 release (XBMC 12 or 13) is not that big…

Tasz

Well, Kodi.tv is about 800 meg on my HP laptop while Geexbox is about 200 on the Dell I’m using it on.

As I said, one is bigger but it really doesn’t matter that much.

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

I still don’t understand… What do you mean with “Kodi.tv”? A recent Geexbox snapshot that contains Kodi 15.2 as mediacenter frontend is about 250MB, not 800MB.

tomlohave
    Keymaster

Testing it …

Tasz

I’m running Kodi.tv (not the Geexbox version of it) on an 6 year old (I think) Dell Inspiron laptop at home (it is 800 meg or so in size).

I’m running Geexbox on an 11 year old HP Pavilion laptop at work (it is about 180 meg in size).

You can see the difference between the two in the System settings. There is quite a bit more you can change on the Kodi.tv version. For example, on Kodi.tv I can turn off the laptop’s monitor screen and output 1080p to my projector whereas with Geexbox I can’t, or at least I can’t easily.

Not sure how else I can explain it 🙂

tomlohave
    Keymaster

video plays quite well on a VM
    I have just a problem with sound near the end of the video

CDVDPlayerAudio::OutputPacket skipping a packets of duration 21
    WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available

Maybe it’s because it’s only a part of the video

tomlohave
    Keymaster

hum, no problem using vlc …

Tasz

Oh it’s the whole video I just stopped recording at that point.

I didn’t notice a VLC addon… If that is what you meant I will look for one tonight.

And on my install it doesn’t play at all. In fact that clip causes a lockup and I have to reboot.

Thanks for the help though 🙂

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

??? I don’t see anyone talking about such a plugin ???

Anyway, if the issue is not reproducable with a recent snapshot, it won’t get fixed and there is no need to discuss further.

tomlohave
    Keymaster

Indeed, there is no such plugin.
    I was talking about plain vlc on my computer …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.