[solved] GeeXboX with kodi 17 not visible for SMB/Samba devices

Home Forums GeeXboX on ARM SoCs [solved] GeeXboX with kodi 17 not visible for SMB/Samba devices

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tomlohave 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

grisu68
    Participant

Hello,

I made a fresh install with kodi 17 on a on CuBox-i4 and copied over /root/.kodi. Thanks to the good work of the GeeXboX team it worked immediately.

However I realized that the GeeXboX was not visible to my other Samba/Netbios/SMB devices anymore. I could access it using in explorer: \\ip-of-geexbox\

The Samba server consists of at least 2 daemons, nmbd (Samba NetBIOS Name Service) and smbd (Samba File Sharing Service). I know that the Samba NetBIOS Name Service is not needed for recent Windows, but it is more convenient to use the browsing feature in some explorer implementations on e.g. Android.

“systemctl status smbd.service” showed that smbd was up and running, whereas “systemctl status nmbd.service” showed that the unit was inactive.

Enabling the unit nmbd.service and a reboot lead to the following entries in the log.
    Jan 01 01:00:07 geexbox systemd[1]: nmbd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Jan 01 01:00:07 geexbox systemd[1]: nmbd.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Jan 01 01:00:07 geexbox systemd[1]: nmbd.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

Therefore I compared the actual nmbd.service file with older versions.
    In the current nmbd.service the line Before=smbd.service is missing in the section [Unit].
    So a nmbd.service should look like this.

[Unit]
    Description=Samba NetBIOS Name Service
    ConditionPathExists=/run/geexbox/network/smbd
    Before=smbd.service

[Service]
    ExecStart=/usr/sbin/nmbd -F
    ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

I added the line and after a reboot GeeXboX is visible again to all my other Samba/Netbios/SMB devices.

As I had to spent some time on it maybe my findings are useful to others.

Best regards, Grisu

tomlohave
    Keymaster

Hi, thanks to share with us your fix

it’s commited : https://github.com/OpenBricks/openbricks/commit/73d6f51f0bf911c978bb967d3b00955d6fa7b076

Many thanks

Cheers !

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.