Old cubox (Armada) does'n mount automatically external drive

Home Forums GeeXboX on ARM SoCs Old cubox (Armada) does'n mount automatically external drive

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Warped Rudi 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

skelos
    Participant

Hello,
    in Cubox Armada I have an external hard drive and I see it in /dev as sda/sda1.
    So I expect foud it contents mounted in /media/ folder but nothing is present.

I try to add this row
    UUID=705E491E5E48DF0A /media/taverna ntfs rw,utf8=1,shortname=mixed,auto,nofail 0 0
    into /etc/fstab reading UUID from here

root@geexbox:/# lbkid
    -sh: lbkid: not found
    root@geexbox:/# blkid
    /dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="d145cc9e" PTTYPE="dos"
    /dev/mmcblk0p1: LABEL="GEEXBOX" UUID="66db09c3-22c2-48fa-8772-5951f936e1bc" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="d145cc9e-01"
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="SAMSUNG" UUID="705E491E5E48DF0A" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="cb6d1d2b-01"

but nothing changed.

If I mount it manually it works fine.

I would know how to find it automounted after each boot.

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  skelos.

skelos
    Participant

Just for improve informations:
    if I edit fstab file and write ro instead rw the disk is mounted fine but it is in read only mode.

this is not useful for me: I need rw

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  skelos.

skelos
    Participant

I share also what I discovered testing.

I restored fstab as previously shown.

I try to mount disk on /media/taverna/ folder.

If I remove taverna folder manually and reboot, when system goes on I type a ‘ps’ command and I have:

711 root     /bin/mount -n /dev/disk/by-uuid/705E491E5E48DF0A /media/taverna
      714 root     /sbin/mount.ntfs /dev/sda1 /media/taverna -n -o rw,utf8=1,shortname=mixed,nofail

In this configuration disk is mounted fine.

If I DON’T REMOVE taverna folder and reboot, when system goes on I have:

734 root     /sbin/mount.ntfs /dev/sda1 /media/taverna -n -o rw,utf8=1,shortname=mixed,nofail

only and nothing in /media/taverna is shown: it appears empty but if I type a ‘umount /dev/sda1’ disk is unmounted fine (so, it was mounted)

Please help me.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  skelos.

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

No idea. But I would avoid NTFS by any means. It’s the worst file system to use on Linux.
    Furthermore, when mounting a volume manually/via fstab I would mount it under /nmt rather than under /media in order to avoid interference with removable drives.

Edit: I assume that the drive is connected to the eSATA port. Only in this case you need the entry in fstab. If it’s USB, then it should be mounted automatically under /media.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  Warped Rudi.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  Warped Rudi.

skelos
    Participant

Thank buy It Is an USB removable drive and It is NOT automatically mounted.

Could you clarify witch component does mount It automatically so I could check why automount fails?

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

I don’t really know the details. But is that Cubox up to date? You might want to try reinstalling the packages ‘udisks’, ‘linux-util-ng’ and ‘ntfs-3g’.
    I tested a FAT32 stick on my old Cubox and it mounted just fine. However, the GUID looked rather different. I.e. multiple groups of hex numbers, not just a single string as yours.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.