I’ve finally decided it’s time to move on from the “cable company DVR plus a bunch of Internet enabled devices” model of home entertainment.
Here is what I would like:
• one central device (HD capable of course)
• that brings all of the common video sources to our main TV
e.g. Netflix, content from HDD, Hulu, iTunes …
• painlessly and seamlessly, with a modern user experience
• capable of streaming HD to a small group of devices (laptops, iPad, iPhones)
• ideally also provides an alternative to cable company DVR
• can interface with NAS
Tall order, I know. I’m thinking I need a media PC. My friend suggested a custom-build Linux box running GeexBox. From what I have read, I think I can get most of the above if I do this? If I’m on the right track, I’m fine taking it one step at a time.