[solved] USB HardDruve is clicking and doesn't work on usb properly

Home Forums GeeXboX on ARM SoCs [solved] USB HardDruve is clicking and doesn't work on usb properly

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tomlohave 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Peter
    Participant

Hy i have a long time problem with a 700gb WD elements hardrive.
    it is mounted al the time but after a wile it started “ticking” sound of the heads moving i think.
    Back on windows no problems what so ever,
    safe release and remount did help some times.
    when accessing in kodi for folder search or crolling through folders it is very slow and it doesn’t enters every time in the next folder tree.
    It did work for a wile fine but now it starts to bug me. 🙁
    It looks like it isn’t de drive which causing problems.

I did updated to kodi 17.( it (hd acces problem) was already a problem on earlier versions.)
    Does any one has this problem and solved it?

question 1: is this a GeexBox or a Kodi error? (i mean i think it is a usb driver problem.)
    because when i dismount and reconnect it sees the drive and connect to it (i see it back in the list) and it is quited. But when i select a video out the library it start ticking and blinking (accesing hd). I am thinking it can’t navigate through the “FAT location table” to navigate through the folders.
    sometimes after a time and i go back and forward i can access a deeper folder and the next is again two rolling circels and no step further.

question 2: (if it is KODI who’s causing the problem: (if i do a library clean up al manualy added images of the videos on the usb hd are gone an i have to do that again.) wil a fresh inread of the disk help? (So delete disk from the list, clean library, (all titles of non reachable video’s are deleted) remount harddrive and add folder to the watch list of the library. (do all fanarts and thumbnails again AARGHHH!)

• This topic was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  tomlohave.

Peter
    Participant

question 2: (if it is KODI who’s causing the problem: (if i do a library clean up al manualy added images of the videos on the usb hd are gone an i have to do that again.) wil a fresh inread of the disk help?

Nope, still ticking, slow read access.

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

1.) Is normally caused by disc consuming more power than the USB port can provide. Does a powered hub help?
    2.) Isn’t the purpose of “cleaning the library” to remove orphaned entries (i.e. those on inaccessable drives)?

Peter
    Participant

1 cuboxi : (USB 2.0 = max. 500 mA)
    “The average power requirements for a 2,5″ HDD with 7,200 RPM is ~ 1.75 Watts (read/write), whereas a 5,400 HDD with the same form factor requires ~ 1,70 Watts (read/write).”

You could be(probably are) right, stupid of me to forget about this, but it worked for a wile so i didn’t think about that.
    Will a double cable stuck in both usb ports help out? A so called y-cable
    USB 2.0 Y cable adapter(two males and one female to plug in the original cable. (its a usb3.0 drive BTW does that matter for the 2.0 y cable choise?)
    edit: https://www.quora.com/Does-it-matter-what-cable-is-used-for-USB-2-0-3-0
    in this case no because the cuboxi is 2.0 so no pain there.

1B) i can test with a external powered one (a oldy 3.5″) to see if that works with out problems. but i prefer option y cable.

2 yes, but if i throwout the extenal drive and do a library cleanup all manual added things in title or thubnails of the content of that external drive are gone after re scanning. Bringing a lot of manual editting 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Peter.

Peter
    Participant

J the y power usb2.0 cable did the trick.
    the harddrive is working again. with out ticking. tree structure faster.

Stupid is didn’t think about this earlier. power consumption.

tomlohave
    Keymaster

ok closing as it seems solved.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.