Kodi 17 'Krypton' preview

Home Forums GeeXboX on ARM SoCs Kodi 17 'Krypton' preview

This topic contains 31 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Warped Rudi 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

Not strange at all 😉 The version I was talking about was so bad, that I did not upload it. So you are using the last “good” one. But I have not yet found the time to look deeper.
    There were some commits very recently that claim to fix a memory leak. Maybe this is what you are seeing…

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

I even got “Physical memory allocation errors” from the video processing unit and hangs on shutdown. I have to check if we need to update some other libraries to get this going again

Even though we accidently were using some older libraries that we should, this was not the problem. The memory issue was the result of the new code allocating more DMA buffers. Thus we have to increase the CMA size in our kernel config and update the kernel. For a second problem (green screen shown on the beginning of some DivX sample files) I could find a solution. Currently there are two issues remaining:

1.) Kodi will *always* hang during exit.
    2.) No sound (via HDMI) after boot due to race condition between video and audio initialisation.

The second point is probably not directly caused by the new code, because I have seen error messages about this before. However, it seems that it’s more often/likely to happen now.

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

O.K.: I’ve created a fix for the hang-during-exit-problem. Should work now. “No-sound-via-HDMI” can be avoided by setting “Delay after change of refresh rate” to a nonzero value (System settings/Video, Mode: Advanced or Expert). There still seem to be some issues. Investigating…

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

With the recent update I did the transition from eglibc to glibc. So it’s probably better to do a full fresh install (/root/.kodi can be copied over to retain the settings).

togath
    Participant

Great work Rudi! It became really stable now. The only issue with my installation (+latest updates) is that DVD playback still doesn’t work. I haven’t tried out playback of an unprotected DVD yet.

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

Well, I contacted the guy who did the last commits to Kodi master. It turned out that this stuff is pretty much broken :(. However, he gave me a link to an improved version on his GitHub. I’m still not quite happy with that code, but at least it is usable… Currently I’m in the process of analysing the stuff and trying to get a better understanding of how this all works. Maybe I’ll start some more overhaul. Our recent Geexbox already contains a few fixes and cleanups.
    As for the “Delay after change of refresh rate”, I was told that this will have some subtle side effects. So a value other than 0 is discouraged. Fortunately, the current code does not expose the initial problem anymore. So it is not necessary either.
    As for DVD playback: I only tested two (unencrypted) ISO images. These worked for me. Besides that the disc menu of “Matrix” was a bit choppy. At the moment I cannot test a real DVD, because my “el cheapo” USB-DVD drive draws some much current out of the USB port, that it will only work on the USB3 of my desktop PC. I’m really wondering how a company can manufacture/sell a device with power requirements that are way beyond every standard! And they even print it on the label!

togath
    Participant

Hi Rudi,

many thanks for the long explanations. At the moment I don’t use DVD or BR so it doesn’t bother me right now. I will continue to check the DVD plackback in the next weeks/months… 🙂

“Delay after change of refresh rate” is set on my installation to 2s and I know of some side-effects, but these effects do not occur anymore for at least two weeks now.

I do have a similiar issue with my DVD drive. It draws to much current for Cubox-i. So I bought a y-cable and using an old mobile-phone charger to make it spin 🙂

togath
    Participant

I got new issues with the latest snapshots.

First one is regrding the network. I noticed it first end of November:
    Movies I could stream over wifi (Cubox connected to 1000GBit LAN) were played without any issue – even with the first Krypton betas.
    Nowerdays it takes ages to preload the movie information, then it buffers for ages and then it plays the first 10s without stuttering only.
    I tested connecting everything to the same 1000GBit switch and setting CuBox with ethtool to 100MBiit. This doesn’t improve anything. This behaviour starts around “600MB of movie per hour”.

The second issue is regarding sound this didn’t work properly with any Krypton beta so far.
    I do use the following setup:
    Music: FLAC -> 2.0 channels -> SPDIF
    Movie: DD/DTS -> x.y channels -> passthrough HDMI

The passthrough switch doesn’t work at all. It recodes every input stream to 2.0 channels. I do need to activate “DD encoding” to force x.y channels over HDMI.

Could these two issues be CuBox specific?

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

Movies I could stream over wifi (Cubox connected to 1000GBit LAN)

I don’t under stand that. Are you using WiFi or LAN? An which sharing protocol (uPnP, NFS, Samba)?

The passthrough switch doesn’t work at all.

That’s bizarre. I never had any problems with passthrough here. Except that I initially didn’t find the GUI checkboxes for it… However, I use HDMI for everything.

It recodes every input stream to 2.0 channels. I do need to activate “DD encoding” to force x.y channels over HDMI.

The transcoding normally only takes place, when the an output format is not supported (i.e. ‘XXX capable receiver’ is not checked) or the input format is not “bitstreamable” (i.e. multichannel AAC or MPEG audio). It *may* also kick in, when the maximum sample rate of the output device it too low. What you describe makes perfectly sense, if the passthrough output device would be SPDIF as well. But for HDMI it’s weird. BTW, I just re-tested and passthrough via HDMI is works just fine here. Including DTS Master Audio and Dolby True HD. Are you 100% sure, that the movies you were trying are using standard DD or DTS and not their high-definition counterparts? Can you post the output of mediainfo for a file that shows this behavior? Also please post the section from kodi.log where the audio devices are enumerated (it’s pretty close to the beginning).

togath
    Participant

Hi Rudi,

after reading your reply I wanted do a fresh install of my cubox with the current Krypton snapshot. But I cannot get it to work. Neither makesd-card nor using the *.img with a Windows tool produces a sd-card which boots the system. It just stalls during boot. Unfortunately I don’t have a keyboard available to attach it to the box at the moment. I will dig a bit deeper into that matter probably next weekend. As soon as I have the box up and running again I will post the information you requested.

Sorry for my missleading information. Cubox is connected via LAN to my switch/accesspoint. But my NAS beams the stuff via WLAN to the accesspoint.

I don’t have any HD-audio formats around. It’s all at maximum ‘old’ DD EX (7.1) or DTS ES (6.1). But usually it’s 5.1 DD or DTS. Audio works perefctly well with geexbox-Jarvis.

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

Something seems to be wrong with that image. Unfortunately, I cannot upload a new one until Monday or Tuesday. Sorry.

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

O.K, I have uploaded new images to the usual place and updated the first post in this thread

togath
    Participant

Thanks, Rudi, that image works again!
    I will post my test results with the clean intall in the next couple of days.

togath
    Participant

The clean installation does not cause these problems anymore. Perhaps it was due to some incompatibilities within the various updates.

One thing I encountered is that a 5.1 aac-file is always downmixed to 2.0 even when used with HDMI audio-output

I remember there was an option in xbmc called something like “linear pcm” or “pcm output”. This was then streaming up to 7.1 lpcm channels via HDMI after decoding.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  togath.

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

When I remember this correctly, you were the guy with that strange AVR that reports different maximum sample rates depending on the number of channels (i.e. 8CH@96kHz and 2CH@192kHz). I also seem to remember, that due to our (actually my) kernel driver implementation and the way Kodi negotiates this, the 2CH@192kHz mode might get preferred over 8CH@96kHz).

BTW, AAC (as well as FLAC) is always decoded via CPU and sent out as LPCM. However, if you set the number of output channels to “2.0” while “Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver” is enabled, an additional option “Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding” will show up. If that option is checked, multi-channel AAC or FLAC will be sent out as AC3.

This behavior is not really new to Krypton. Previous Kodi versions did the same.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.