Geexbox on Cubox open issues IR/Visualizations/5.1/1080p

September 15th, 2013

Home Forums GeeXboX on ARM SoCs Geexbox on Cubox open issues IR/Visualizations/5.1/1080p

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Warped Rudi 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

homernl82

Hallo everyone,

I have set up geexbox this weekend on my new cubox.

First of all I very much like the overall experience and it’s generally working great.

Though I have some issues to report:

Let’s start with remote control:

I setup my Harmony remote control to the recommended device “Syabas Popcorn Hour A-100″ as described here:
    http://www.solid-run.com/mw/index.php/IR_remote_control

I have set it up on the cubox as described here:
    http://www.solid-run.com/mw/index.php?title=GeeXboX#Remote_control

And generally it works nicely. There are only 2 issues. When I press a button and quickly afterwards press another button the first button I pressed is repeated (double button press), then the second one I pressed is entered. So pressing 0,1 with less than about one till two seconds in between it results in 0,0,1 being pressed. Very annoying. Adding <remotedelay>20</remotedelay> to /root/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml did not help. So I’m using a keyboard for now.

Additionally I can’t find a way to get the KEY_CONTEXT_MENU to work through the remote. The Context Menu is kind of important though.
    I have set
    0x4cb4b KEY_CONTEXT_MENU
    in /etc/rc_keymaps/popcornhour-a100, but it didn’t help.

Second issue: Visualizations for music don’t work at all. I don’t get any errors (also the systemd journal doesn’t show anything) but the screen just stays black. I installed other visualizations as well, like ProjectM and such. It’s the same issue for all. just a black screen.

Third issue:
    Digital 5.1 output doesn’t work properly. I do get audio both over HDMI or the optical out. But only if in the xbmc audio settings I switch to “Analog”. Switching to “Digital” always results in a message about being unable to initialize the audio device when I start any playback. I also tried different output devices and passthrough devices. I would like to get AC3/DTS/PCM output through the optical out. Right now I only seem to get PCM.

Fourth issue:
    1080p playback mostly is for some high bitrate mkv files stuttering a lot. Audio is fine, For Youtube 1080p does generally result in about 2fps. I now switched the resolution in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-cubox.conf to 720p, now everything works without stuttering. For now I am happy with this, though cubox claims flawless 1080p playback. I don’t see that.

I would be very glad about some help in resolving those remaining issues, as I tried really hard without any success.

Kind regards

Max

• This topic was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  homernl82.
    • This topic was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  homernl82.

homernl82

forgot to say: I am running version 3.0, just read about the devel version. Is there a way to update to that one without deleting all my settings, databases etc?

Warped Rudi

Visualizations for music don’t work at all.

Digital 5.1 output doesn’t work properly. I do get audio both over HDMI or the optical out. But only if in the xbmc audio settings I switch to “Analog”.

Looks pretty much like you are using Geexbox 3.0 release. These issues should have been resolved in the development snapshots a long time ago.

When I press a button and quickly afterwards press another button the first button I pressed is repeated (double button press)

This is a known problem that still exists. Most likely related to the CuBox kernel itself.

homernl82

Thanks a lot. The development version indeed solves most of my issues.

One remaining issue would be visualizations. The OpenGL Spectrum visualization works fine, but it isn’t quite amazing. I’d very much like to have projectM working. Installing the addon and enabling it still results in a black screen. When I tried to reinstall the addon I noticed that the ‘uninstall’ option is disabled in the settings menu. So I can’t even remove or disable the non-working addon. I have to note that I installed the addon in the 3.0 release and copied over my /root/.xbmc to the develeopment version. What does it take to get ProjectM working on my cubox? And if not possible, how can I remove it?

Thanks a lot

Max

Warped Rudi

Generally it’s not a good idea to copy over stuff from 3.0 to the current devel version. They are too different (ARMEL vs. ARMHF, XBMC Eden vs Frodo)… I’m not sure if I ever saw projectM on CuBox. But I cannot try until I’m back from my business trip by the end of next week…

Warped Rudi

When I press a button and quickly afterwards press another button the first button I pressed is repeated (double button press)

I think I fixed this in r16416.

I’m not sure if I ever saw projectM on CuBox.

It appears that projectM requires full blown desktop OpenGL, while CuBox (as most other ARM SoCs) only has OpenGL ES 2.0. Looks like it would require a serious amount of work to get this going. If possible at all…

tomlohave

Maybe with this : https://github.com/cptspiff/visualization.projectm
    support of opengles with projectm

Warped Rudi

@Tom: this looks like it’s only the XBMC integration. Not projectM itself, which depends on GLEW and FTGL. Both of them officially only work on OpenGL. There are some attempts to adapt them to GLES, but I have no idea if these ports are worth a try. It may well end in two or three weeks full of frustration…

tomlohave

not only : http://projectm.sourceforge.net/
    look at news 12/19/11 and here : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166261&page=2
    now i have not tested a build for arm ;-)

Warped Rudi

I read that news and downloaded the source code. However, I can only find references to GLES 1.0 in it. Furthermore I have not really seen how to build this “top notch Android app” out of that sources. But maybe I didn’t try hard enough… Currenty I’m not too enthusiastic because there are so many other things to do. I guess if the XBMC guys manage to get that stuff upstream, we will include it eventually.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.