GeeXboX DVB-S media / tv server – newbie questions

January 30th, 2013

Home Forums GeeXboX for PC GeeXboX DVB-S media / tv server – newbie questions

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sezar 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

steview_de

Hello all together,

a couple of years ago I just tried GeeXboX, but there was no need for me. Now I would like to have a really good solution.

My problem is that our house has more LAN sockets (in every room) than aerial sockets for television.

So I would like to use a GeeXboX PC with TV Card (PCI or USB?) and a xbmc android remote control as a central TV server.

Question(s):

1. Can I stream the TV signal via LAN to an television?
    What hardware do I need on top? Transmitter from LAN to HDMI?

2. Will the xbmc remote control be enough? Can I switch the TV channels with it or do I need the rc of the TV card?

I am an absolute beginner in this kind of “technology”.

Many thanks and kind regards

the “Stevie”

tomlohave

Hello,

1) using tvheadend, no problem. that’s how I use geexbox (a dedicated server to build geexbox, record tv, nfs shares, etc and a small pc connected to tv using geexbox) Any hardware supported by linuxtv should work.

2) you can control xbmc using a vitual remote , a rc remote,  or  it exists a specific application for android (see documentation)

Danger

Just to throw my .02 in, the remote i have on my iPod (cringes and wishes for android device again) works just fine and dandy. makes easy to navigate from the couch, and i havent found a limitation yet of it.

Sezar

I use 3 years only wireless mouse . No need remote http acces. But my grandmother  use some Mini Wireless htpc keyboard with built in Touchpad. But first read this here: http://www.geexbox.org/geexbox-daily-usage-iphone-and-android-remote-control/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.