[ solved ] Failed to start on Utilite

Home Forums GeeXboX on ARM SoCs [ solved ] Failed to start on Utilite

Tagged: 

This topic contains 22 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tomlohave 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

deniska
    Participant

I’ve been using some development build of GeexBox from July 2015 on my Utilite Pro (1st generation) without seeing any problem.
    Recently I decided to upgrade to some fresh build, but it fails to start by some reason. I tried 6 or 7 latest drops, from December to most recent version (Feb 12) – still no luck. And unfortunately I lost the tarbal with _stable_ version that I used before, so there is no way to restore everything back 🙁 I’d really appreciate if you could help me with fixing this issue.

Symptoms are:
    – There is nothing shown on TV
    – from serial console I see that every boot it stops with the following lines:

sdhci-pltfm: SDHCI platform and OF driver helper
    sdhci-esdhc-imx 2190000.usdhc: could not get ultra high speed state, work on normal mode
    mmc4: no vqmmc regulator found
    2190000.usdhc supply card-external-vcc not found, using dummy regulator
    mmc4: SDHCI controller on 2190000.usdhc [2190000.usdhc] using ADMA
    mmc0: no vqmmc regulator found
    2198000.usdhc supply card-external-vcc not found, using dummy regulator
    mmc4: new high speed SDIO card at address 0001
    usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ci_hdrc
    mmc0: SDHCI controller on 2198000.usdhc [2198000.usdhc] using ADMA
    mxc_vdoa 21e4000.vdoa: i.MX Video Data Order Adapter(VDOA) driver probed
    mxc_vpu 2040000.vpu: VPU initialized
    HDMI-CEC initialized
    mmc0: host does not support reading read-only switch. assuming write-enable.
    mmc0: new high speed SDHC card at address 1234
    mmcblk0: mmc0:1234 SA08G 7.42 GiB
    mmcblk0: p1 p2
    hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
    hub 1-1:1.0: 4 ports detected
    random: nonblocking pool is initialized

Tried to restart the device many times
    Tried to use another MMC card
    Tried to disconnect all external devices and unplug built-in SSD
    – no success

• This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  tomlohave.

tomlohave
    Keymaster

Hi Deniska,

I have this board (utilite pro with embedded ssd)
    I’m testing the last image (just be patient)

Cheers !

tomlohave
    Keymaster

Just tested the latest snapshot : no problem …

So It’s difficult to say where is your problem

deniska
    Participant

Hi tomlohave,

Thank you for quick response!

Well, if it works on another board then it might be related with some HW problems with my device 🙁
    Or it could be caused by a very old bootloader running on my board (U-Boot 2009.08) – I cannot upgrade it because it was locked on factory.

By the way, do you know if there is a way to retreive some old development snapshots? Some old build from July 2015 worked properly on my board, so I’d give it a try, just in case.

tomlohave
    Keymaster

hum, you can try to update u-boot using our cm-fx6-bootloader-update package, or the regular one provided by computlab …

– from our package : I need latest date your remember with a working snapshot, (then I can rebuild it) or
    – from computlab, install their os (ubuntu ?) , and upgrade your bootloader, then you can try our snapshot.

Cheers !

deniska
    Participant

It was devel-20150507-r7ff0910 that worked for me stable for more than year. I would really appreciate if you could re-build this image, so that I could restore everything back.

As for u-boot upgrade, I cannot do it because secure boot feature is turned on in my board and u-boot image must be signed off with a correct certificate, which I don’t have 🙁 So I have to use this particular bootloader version provided by a vendor.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  deniska.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  deniska.

tomlohave
    Keymaster

before attempting a build from 7ff0910, did you try exactly this :
    https://compulab.co.il/workspace/mediawiki/index.php5/CM-FX6:_U-Boot:_Firmware_Update

of course, you can use our cm-fx6-firmware file present in /boot (first partition of sdcard)

deniska
    Participant

Yes, I did, and my board doesn’t boot with this firmware.
    Let me explain it a bit – there is a special feature in iMX SoC – High Assurance Boot. Once enabled, it allows to boot only bootloaders which are signed with specific certificate. I received this board from a vendor, which enabled this feature and provided their signed bootloader. Another firmware, like the one from Compulab, does not have this signature, so fails to start.
    I would normally need to sign-off the new bootloader image with the certificate, but I just don’t have it, and a vendor refuses to provide it.

tomlohave
    Keymaster

hum, ok, after a little research on the net, it seems, once locked, it’s irreversible. Great feature !
    I ‘m starting the build. Then, maybe I can create a separate branch for your device with everything up to date only kernel and u-boot remaining. But I’m not sure it works.

Cheers !

deniska
    Participant

Thank you for your support!
    Please don’t spend too much efforts for this. I need just this development build, as it was running okay for quite a long for me and I can continue using it.
    There were actually no need to upgrade to a recent build, I just was trying to see if there was anything new.

tomlohave
    Keymaster

well, many packages were updated, with many fixes. That’s why it’s maybe possible to upgrade everything , keeping u-boot and kernel at the same version. I’m building it but, I have disable rtorrent package (problem with a patch), do you need it ?

deniska
    Participant

I don’t use rtorrent, so it won’t be a problem

tomlohave
    Keymaster
    #########################################################################
    ##
    ## Build completed successfully !!
    ##  + Flavour:      GeeXboX
    ##  + Version:      devel-20170301-r7ff0910
    ##  + Architecture: arm
    ##  + Platform:     imx6
    ##  + Board:        utilite
    ##
    ## Binary Location: binaries/binaries.utilite
    ##
    #########################################################################

Uploading in progress, be patient
    (here : http://download.geexbox.org/utilite/utilite-locked/ )

Cheers !

tomlohave
    Keymaster

Done.

deniska
    Participant

Thank you! Trying it right now

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.