CEC not working on CuBox-i

Home Forums GeeXboX on ARM SoCs CEC not working on CuBox-i

This topic contains 36 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  togath 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

togath
    Participant

Yes, it is connected to my AVR which is connected to the tv.
    Connecting Cubox-i directly to the tv very often succeeds in establishing a working CEC-connection.

I have deactivated all the CEC features like “switch to”, “stop playback” “switch on tv/avr”
    Since usually I have CuBox running and playing some music – controlled by upnp-control-ponit (mobile phone or tablet). So I don’t need the tv to switch on. And later I switch the TV on to watch some tv and I dont’ want it to switch to HDMI automatically.

What I did the last couple of days was: unplug Cubox and use the cabeling for RPI and vice versa. That means: the RPI had exactly the same conditions as CuBox and it succeeded in setting up a working CEC connection.

Here is the RPI log. Did it the same way: tv + avr first. 30s later RPI:
    RPI log

All theses protocols are becoming so difficult to support them in good manner. Sometimes I’m wondering that they are working at all 😀

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  togath.
    • This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Warped Rudi.

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

Hmm, this mysterious audio device and the two unanswered request to it are not present in the Raspberry log. I could imagine, that libCEC’s state machine gets confused if this audio device is the result of a mis-detection.

Please download and install this kernel package and re-create the log on the CuBox-i. If think I’ve fixed a problem which might cause the driver to return ‘OK’ in case of a write timeout and which could lead to this type of mis-detection.

togath
    Participant

Hi Rudi,

thanks for splitting up the two topics.

Package manager ranted about already installed package. So I forced a reinstall.

Did it the same way again: tv+avr first and then CuBox.
    Usual result: TV remote didn’t work (verified with some key-strokes).
    Then I used yatse to navigate to the input-menue and and deactivated CEC and reactivated it.
    TV remote works. The last key strokes until reboot are from tv remote.

No changed behaviour noticable due to your bug-fix.

CuBox with kernal package:
    log3

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

However, I don’t see the audio device in the new log. Of course, if that is the result of the fix, the question is why the driver would hit that timeout at all. Normally this should not happen… Unfortunately, your CuBox-i and Raspberry are running different versions of Kodi/libCEC. Thus the logs are not really comparable. You don’t happen to have a Kodi17 log for the Raspberry or a Kodi16 log for the CuBox-i?

togath
    Participant

hi Rudi,

I installed on both devices geexbox.

As far as I can tell for the RPI there is no geexbox 17.x
    Shall I use official kodi?

How could I ‘downgrade’ Cubox-i from geexbox 17.x to 16.x?
    I could use official kodi as well?

Anyway, I’m not sure if I can do it this week. Will try latest on Sunday to provide you the requested log.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  togath.

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

As far as I can tell for the RPI there is no geexbox 17.x

Of course there is 😉 Click!

togath
    Participant

Hi Rudi,

found some minutes. Now I’ve got a RPI with 17.x

– First boot configured:: resolution, CEC according to CuBox-i, logging.
    – Shutdown. Clear log.
    – Second boot: CEC doesn’t work. Re-init of “Viera link” from tv-menue. CEC comes to live after some seconds.

log4
    Already stripped

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  togath.

togath
    Participant

*) forgot to mention: first boot CEC worked!

togath
    Participant

Some more info about the Cubox-(i) issue:

When starting/switching to HDMI/switching on TV and CEC doesn’t work it always helps to turn CEC off. Afterwards tv-remote works quite happily. Turing CEC back on again (without reboot in between) has no effect.

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

it always helps to turn CEC off

In the TV or in Kodi?

Sorry, been very busy last week…

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

Hi Togath,

I’ve built a new kernel for the CuBox-i. Please give it a try. It contains some timing changes.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Warped Rudi.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Warped Rudi.

togath
    Participant

Hi Rudi,

new kernel applied no noticable changes.
    Newest log:
    log5
    stripped

– tv and avr powered-up first, 30s later Cubox-i
    – Pressed some tv-remote keys, no reaction
    – Navigated to CEC with yatse & disabled it <b>in<b> kodi
    – After pressing OK in CEC-menu, tv-remote works – even if CEC should be disabled by now
    – Navigated & restared Cubox-i with tv-remote

– After restart (not in the log) CEC is not working – it’s disabled

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

Hmm, I start to run out of ideas. The more I look into that the more I think that this is a general libCEC issue that just doesn’t show up on other hardware due to different timing.

Can you please create another log with the CEC option “Switch source to this device on startup” disabled? It might interfere with the processing of these vendor specific messages.

– After pressing OK in CEC-menu, tv-remote works – even if CEC should be disabled by now

That is normal Kodi behavior…

togath
    Participant

A very keen approach would be to just run a script after stat-up which deactivates and then reactivates CEC. Not nice, but it would surely do the trick :-/

Warped Rudi
    Keymaster

That is something I’m not going to even think about. BTW, when Kodi has opened the CEC device nobody else can do something with it. BTW, did you manage to play with the “Switch source to this device on startup” in Kodi? The logs suggest that this option was “on” in your tests with Cubox-i, but “off” on RaspberryPi.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.